Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Epidural: Why or Why Not?


In discussing whether or not to have an epidural or a natural birth, it is a temptation to point out how unnatural an epidural is or how it doesn't fit into nature's way. However, I'd venture to say that a woman choosing this option is not concerned with how natural it is or isn't. Rather, she is concerned with the pain. A concern which in and of itself.. is natural. I think it is better to address that fear rather than what is or is not natural.


If the truth be told, childbirth, although it does carry some pain with it, isn't unbearably painful by nature. It is the misinformation we have been fed that causes us to believe in and live up to that expectation of discomfort. I have given birth to 5 children. Some were born in hospitals "naturally" and some with epidurals and I have homebirthed as well. The difference is amazing and empowering.

In an environment where one is a stranger; is being prodded and poked and invaded physically; where those in charge are more concerned with procedure than with your comfort or emotions, there will be discomfort. In a place where a woman is treated as a medical patient rather than a woman performing a natural bodily function, she will not be relaxed.. When the body tenses, pain increases. When the voice rises in pain, the body tenses and pain increases. In a hospital, they allow all these things to take place, not caring what effect it has on the mother and child or the birth.

So how can birth be "painless"? The answer is simple: Remove those interventions.
Intervention is defined as "a hindrance". There has never been a more appropriate word used! They hinder the birth process; they hinder the calm and peace that naturally come with birth. Remove those things and take it to another location.
The location should be someplace calm and comfortable. A place where you perform all your other bodily functions: your home. At home, you are surrounded by only the people you have invited. Home has always been the natural "given" as to a birth location and, in 80% of the world, still is. At home, strengthened with knowledge, birth isn't that painful. Realizing that allowing the voice to rise and body to tense increases pain, you'll know to "let go" and just go with the flow. Arm yourself with the understanding that this is a normal function of life and that it's not designed to hurt intensely. It is we humans with our misinformation who cause ourselves much pain.


The key to a "painless" childbirth is not an epidural. In fact, most hospitals do not allow an epidural until 8cm dilation. At that point, you've already gone through the transitional phase of labor which is the most intense stage! So what really have you saved yourself? A couple of hours at most? You've done the toughest part at that point. And you've done it under very tense and uncomfortable circumstances with little control over your positioning or anything else which may help to alleviate pain. So then what is the key?

The key is to be in control of your own body and environment, armed with the comforting knowledge that it isn't that painful unless you allow it to be. The key is to be able to dictate what you will and will not do; who will and will not touch you; where you will and will not go. With all that power behind you and the ability to have a virtually painless childbirth, why go through horrendous pain until they allow you to have an epidural?
The choice to make isn't epidural or no epidural. It really is this: Allow strangers to dictate your level of comfort or discomfort or know that you have the power to make your birth the most calm, peaceful, painless birth nature will allow and take action and control of your birth.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know.. I've been there for many births and watched the tearing of the vulva during childbirth. It doesn't seem like that is "painless" or even "discomfort"... it seemed awfully painful to me. Even the ones done at home.

    You do make some good points though, if mothers didn't anticipate horrible pain, they might just loosen up and bit. Relaxation does reduce most the pain we experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true that tearing can happen. However, it's my experience that an experienced GOOD midwife does everything possible to prevent this. Including not putting a woman on her back (definitely puts pressure where you don't want it!) and uses a crock pot containing cloths and a bottle of olive oil. The warm cloths are used as compresses during pushing stage and the olive oil is used on the babies head from the first moment of crowning.

    I've yet to tear or see a tear when it is done this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had 4 children. Two with epidurals and two without. My first was 10 weeks early so we didn't have the option of any medication to begin with. My second I had a duola and I instructed the nurses to keep my inlaws out. I had very little pain and the birth was uneventful. My third was 4 or 5 weeks (don't remember now) early. I had an epidural with him. I was exhausted and needed to rest. My daughter was induced because she was turned funny and they were worried about the cord. She came in 4 hours. I was in *so* much pain. I asked for the epidural but never got it. I was pushing as it was walking though the door.

    The worst thing that happened to me was the spinal I had after my daughter. I had to have surgery and the doctor actually said to me "You're too tense". I wanted to scream at him that I had a baby an hour prior and that's why I was tense. He did something wrong and I ended up with spinal leak. I went home and started to have headeaches so bad I couldn't move. I went back to the doctor twice for them to fix it.

    If I would have had the epidural there would have been no need for the spinal afterward. It would have saved me a lot of pain then and now.

    Sometimes it is medically necessary to have the epidural. Sometimes it's not.

    The best thing to do is research your hospital and let them know about your anxieties. That will help the pain. Also having a loving partner and family always helps.

    Oh, and locking the inlaws out! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ring Leader for the info. Unfortunately, if one chooses to hospital birth then it's more or less a "given" that nature will not be permitted to take it's course. Their very protocol causes so many complications, mistakes, emergencies and unecessary procedures. Had you been at home, it very likely would have been an entirely different experience. More relaxed and the baby may have been permitted or helped into the correct birthing situation. Hospitals and doctors refuse to believe that mother and baby instinctively know the birth process.

    I am not, by any means, stating that hospitals are not necessary with any delivery. However, they are only necessary in about 5% of all pregnancies in the entire world.

    ReplyDelete