Many people consider “breast or bottle” as a feeding “ choice". I do not. Nature does not. There is no choice. It’s every child’s instinct; it’s every mother’s instinct. It’s a gift to us all. Some people are surprised at how often a child will nurse. Even breastfeeding moms I’ve met are surprised at how often my child will nurse. It seems normal to me. After watching nature itself; reading the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding cover to cover, and being a part of La Leche League for 15 years.. I know that not only are my children in the norm; but that most babies do not settle for having the breast only at feeding time.
It isn’t a feeding method. It’s an entire lifestyle and is supposed to be that way. I believe we were given (by God or nature or whatever you choose to believe) breastfeeding for the development of the child’s mind, body and spirit. It calms them during tantrums; it’s a comforter when they fall and get hurt; it’s a way of touching base and knowing they are secure; it’s an assurance when they’re testing independence that they can always “come home”; it’s oh so many things to them that I could never deprive her of it. There are simply so many long-lasting benefits and lessons from breastfeeding. Benefits to baby; benefits to mother.
I get annoyed at times because my life with 2 businesses is much more hectic and difficult than when I was a married, stay-at-home mom and I find myself almost pushing her away at moments. But she’s stubborn and persistent and relentless and once she latches on and I stare at those beautiful, big blue eyes, I know the nursing isn’t only for her mind, body and spirit; but for my own. It slows me down. It's nature's way of not allowing me to neglect her. It forces me to stop and be with her when I have a million things to do. It makes me “come home” to her when life convinces me that there is something more important to do. The release of prolactin ensures that I relax from a my crazy, spinning world.
It’s God’s/nature’s way of making sure we as mothers do what we’re supposed to do for and with our children. It’s the most perfect relationship and assurance of mothering correctly that we’ve been given. We need to respect it and know that our children know what they need and fulfill those needs
No comments:
Post a Comment