Pages

Saturday, September 03, 2011

Unschooling: What Exactly Does That Mean?



I am not an unschooler. I am a Charlotte Mason educator. Once upon a time, however, we were unschoolers. I know a lot of unschoolers. I also know a lot of "radical unschoolers". I am also meeting a lot of moms who are new to homeschooling who are baffled by these "radical" ones. When these new homeschooling moms seek out information, the more radical unschoolers don't seem to have answers to their questions. It leaves the newbies baffled and confused.

As well, these radical unschoolers never seem to clearly disclose that they are, in fact, radical. They give no indiction that they are not the mainstream of unschooling families. I sometimes feel they should come with a disclaimer of some sort. "Hello.. I am a radical unschooler. I have no answers for you. But I am full of general snarkyness and vague answers that will leave you more confused than educated."

I have recently seen several news casts on the internet. All of them have one thing in common: These families literally do nothing towards the education of their children. And they're proud to say so. In my opinion, these parents perpetuate the myth that we parents are not qualified to educate their young. Many people hear the term "unschooling" and immediately, without any effort, conclude that "unschooling = not schooling = not educating". Their conclusions are confirmed by these radical unschoolers. So what is unschooling exactly?

First, let us define "school". Once we have the correct definition of "school" then the word "unschool" takes on a new meaning entirely:


school/sko͞ol/


Noun

1.an institution where instruction is given.

2.an institution for instruction in a particular skill or field.

3.a college or university.

 Definition of the prefix "un" means "not". 


Aha! Unschool would simply be defined as "not in an institution of instruction"!!! Here is a more complete explantion:

Unschooling is is a range of educational practices centered on allowing children to learn through their natural life experiences, including play, game play, household responsibilities, work experience, and social interaction, rather than through a more traditional school curriculum.



Unschooling does not mean letting your children watch television and play video games all day long. It does not mean allowing the child to dictate what they learn and do not learn. Unschooling is not an attempt to let a child rule his own world with no rules, discipline or punishments. It doesn't mean you don't teach them or use books or require them to read. All of that would fall under the "radical unschooler" way of life.


Unschooling is considered a "child directed" approach. I prefer to think of unschooling as an "interest-directed" approach. In our unschooling days, if my son had taken an interest in architecture. I would have worked the study of architecture into all subjects and all subjects into his interest of architecture. Architecture can take us all over the world (social studies); on trips through ancient Rome and Greece! (history); we could learn new vocabulary; we could even work it into math because architecture requires mathematical skills; we could study pieces of artwork which display various types of architecture and so on. I could incorporate all of these subjects and more into our educational plan based upon his interest in that one thing.


I am neither advocating for or against unschooling. I simply want others to understand what it really means. I feel so sorry for the children whose parents choose to "do nothing" and claim they're unschooling. I feel sorry for the parents looking into unschooling and asking how it works; how do you account to the state; etc ..but having an "unschool mom" tell them "we don't do anything" and "we don't answer to the state" because both answers are incorrect. Whatever state you reside in has laws and laws are to be followed. Yes, unschoolers can abide by the laws without changing their educational philosophies. We did.

Unschooling is a perfectly acceptable method if it's used correctly and with the child's best interest at heart. I happen to prefer the Charlotte Mason method. But no method of education should be used to justify giving up your responsibility to parent or educate your children. There is no justification for that.

Happy Mothering!

No comments:

Post a Comment